Friday, March 27, 2009

One Down, Six to Go

Hi Blog Checkers!!
This was the week for me to begin chemo. When I got up at 5:30a.m. on Wed. 3/25 and got the tea pot on for breakfast, I checked my daily calendar which had a message from God to start the day -- from Romans 15:13 -- "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." I knew after reading that, that all would go well.
My friend Judy picked me up at 6:30a.m. and we had a beautiful sunrise on the way -- another sign from heaven. There is a special wing for those involved in studies on the 7th floor -- private rooms with recliners, bathroom in room. Snacks and drinks are always available. Everyone is so nice. After preliminary paperwork and intravenous input, chemo began at 11:30 and continued until 3:00 -- doxorubicin and cisplatin along with saline, magnesium and potassium. I arrived home around 4:30 ready for a nap.
The next day, my friend Toni picked me up at 8:00 as we did not have to report until 9:30. Chemo began at 10:30 (Paclitaxel or Taxol is the brand name). They added a low dose of benedryl and I slept for 1 and 1/2 hours at Roswell, off and on in the car on the way home and again when I got home around 3:30. I was glad they gave me a low dose or I would still be bagging the zzzzzzz's I think.
I knew that I needed to get a shot on the day after chemo and right along they had been telling me that a nurse would come to my home for the first one and show me how to give the injections. That story changed yesterday when they told me they wanted me to come in today so they could observe me for an hour after the shot for any reaction. So back to Roswell today with friend Jan who has a flexible schedule. I learned how to give the shot and got an hour of reading in with no reaction. They say I will have joint pain for a few days but motrin should help with that.
So that is the story of chemo 1. So far, so good and I just know that all the prayers on my behalf are the greatest therapy of all. Thank you so much for keeping my PIT (Prayer Infusion Tube) flowing.
Love and Bunny Hugs--
Teri

5 comments:

  1. Dearest Teri;
    I'm so glad that your chemo treatments went well this week. The journey has begun. We continue to pray that you will not have too many side effects and that you will be cured.
    Much love and big "cyberspace" hugs,
    Bon Bon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that everything went well. Your PIT should be about over flowing!

    Love and Prayers,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear things are going so well for you. There's Power In Prayer. Praying you will continue to get along so well. (Jason's mom) Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri,
    Sounds like you're doing well, so all our prayers must be helping. My sister just had her second treatment of a "new" chemo drug for her CLL. She was expecting to feel terrible, but is doing quite well. AND...her blood work shows a marked improvement. (more prayers being answered)

    Hope you follow in my sister's footsteps and have excellent results from your treatments.
    Love from FLA,
    Connie and Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teri:

    So glad that it has started and your recovery and health will soon be returning. Thinking and praying for you daily.

    Bunny Hugs!

    Love and prayers:

    Susan

    ReplyDelete