Saturday, January 30, 2010

Happy New Year and 1 Down, 5 To Go

Hi Blogster Buddies!!
We hope everyone had as enjoyable a Christmas celebration as we had. Can't believe the month of January is almost done too.
On the medical scene, I had a CT scan on Dec. 4. At my Dec. 9th check up and what I thought would be the beginning of the same chemo regimen, I was told that the Topotecan (the toucans) didn't work as well as hoped and I would begin another combination of chemo drugs - Cisplatin which I had the first time and Gemzar which I haven't had yet. It would be given 2 weeks on and two weeks off for 6 sessions, basically 6 months. They wanted to begin on Dec. 16th but that would mean I would have to go for the 2nd session on Dec. 23rd, the day Greg, Suzi and Jason were scheduled to arrive for Christmas. I asked if we could begin on Dec. 30 and they OK'd it. On Sat. Dec. 19th I was getting ready for bed and noticed a stream of blood coming from my left ear. Most people get bloody noses. Of course, I wanted to be different and have a bloody ear. I called Roswell to see if I should go to the ER but they said it would stop and just make an appointment the next week with my primary care dr. So I stuck some cotton in my ear and saw one of the doctors in the group I go to the following Monday (12/21). He said it was an external ear infection and prescribed some drops to put in for a week. Actually Dave put them in every morning and evening. Drainage continued to come out and the pressure gave me a headache so that I had to take Ibuprofin every 5 hours. When I went back for the follow-up, I told the dr. that I didn't think the drops did the trick because the drainage continued and was now more orangish. He took a sample to send to a lab, put me on penicillan for 10 days and sent me to an ear, nose and throat dr. The lab said it was streptococus-pneumonocus (don't think that was it exactly but it sounded like that to me.) The e/n/t dr. said I had a small hole in my eardrum which may have been good because it let the yuk out. The hole would heal. Because I had the ear infection, I could not begin the chemo because you can't have it when you have an infection. So I did finally begin on Jan. 13 and 20 to complete my first round. I am now on 2 weeks off and will have the next round on Feb 10 and 17. Side effects are minimal, mostly tiredness.
Last Sat. (1/23), I woke up at 5:30am to visit the BR and went down on all 4's. Still not sure if I passed out for a few seconds but I got up, went to the Br but had to hurry back to bed as I couldn't stand for very long. I slept another couple of hours hoping that feeling would go away. It didn't. I was fine sitting or laying down, but couldn't stand for very long. Called Roswell again and they told me to go to primary care dr. or ER. My dr.'s office has Sat. morning appts. but they couldn't fit me in so we went to Westfield ER around 2:30. They said I was anemic and had some internal bleeding. They could not take care of me there so I went by ambulance to St. Vincent's Hospital in Erie, PA., about an hour away from Fredonia. I never rode in an ambulance before so that was a new experience. I had to be on complete bed rest and couldn't get up for anything, even though the br was 3 feet from the bed. Couldn't have anything to eat except clear liquids until Monday night. On Sunday they did a dopler test on my legs and found there were some blood clots in the lower leg. On Monday they put a scope down to my GI track and found an ulcer most likely caused by the Lovenox injections I have been giving myself since March when a blood clot in the abdomen was discovered - common after surgery. I also have been taking low dose asprin for several years on the advice of my dr. to prevent heart attacks. The combination of the two blood thinners most likely caused the ulcer so I'm off asprin for good, off the injections for two weeks until Roswell decides when I need to go back on. The ulcer should heal in a couple of weeks. I'm taking a generic protonix med now for the ulcer (anti-acid drug). On Tues. they inserted a filter in my groin which will prevent any blood clots from going to my lungs. That's a good thing. I was released on Wednesday and got home about 3:30p.m., so happy to be home. Dave had a lovely bunch of daisies on the table for me, my favorite flower. I'm feeling better every day and will return to work on Monday. So that's this month's kind of long update.
Thank you for your continued prayers for both Dave and I. Got us through another hurdle. Always does. Always will. Have a happy heart all through February!
Love, Bunny Hugs and Blessings--
Teri/Theresa

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update Teri! You're in my prayers!

    -Matt Keppel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri,
    I know you love your job, but you need to rest to get better. Don't push yourself too hard. Now is the time to pamper yourself. Our love and prayers go out to you from FLA.
    Love, Connie, Fran & Arlene (Marty is up in PA praying for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theresa,
    My thoughts and prayers are always with you and Dave and the family. You know my history with the ulcers and GI bleeds. That is the worst feeling when you get to live on clear liquids and feel like you have sea legs. I am glad you did not have to have transfusions. Also be aware the the advil or Ibuprofen products tear your stomach apart also. Get some rest, work will always be there when you are ready. You ae the most positive person I know, keep on smiling, sping will be here before you know it.
    Nancy Peters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take Care Mrs. Scholand! We are praying for you!!

    Love,
    Robin, Brian & Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you, Teri! Hadn't checked this Blog in a while, and had no idea you've been going through all this! You look so happy at school, and have such a positive attitude that I had NO idea! Please REST and take care of yourself!!!

    Michelle Gullo & Family

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Teri! Thank's so much for taking the time to share with all of us. You are such a positive person! I haven't realized how much you are going through because you always have a smile on your face! Our prayers are with you, stay strong! We love you! The Bankoski's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally found this and it was wonderful to see you all and Peter Rabbit. I have been praying for you ever since I learned that you have cancer and it was good to see you smile! You and Dave are one of the happy memories in my life so take care of yourself.
    Love and hugs,
    Nyliran and Abby( the 11 year pld puppy who refuses to grow up)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That should be Nyliram and old. My typing has deteriorated since the computer.And both these messages were posted 2/15/10??
    Nyliram

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Teri, so good to see you and Dave yesterday.
    My brother Joe asks about often and is praying for you as we all are here. Love, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer in August of 2010. A precious friend told me about Dr Itua Herbal Center in West Africa,She gave me his contact number and email address,I contacted him quickly so he give me guaranty that his herbal medicine will cure my cancer and i will be heal forever I said Okay.I ask him about the process for the cure,he ask me to pay for the fees which i did and within 7 working days he sent me the herbal medicine then he instructed me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure.I told Gomez my friend about the herbal medicine so he gave me go ahead to drink it.So after drinking it for two weeks i was cured I'm so grateful and i promise i will recommend anyone with cancer to him and that what i'm doing.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Tach Disease,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,
    Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,a
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Parkinson's disease,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,
    Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Tach Disease,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes.
    Here Is His Contact Info......[Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. Whatsapp...+2348149277967]

    ReplyDelete